The 43rd Annual MayDay Parade and Festival: Sunday, May 7, 2017
Help build the puppets for the MayDay Parade!
During the month of April, our building is transformed into a giant studio where staff artists and volunteers create the MayDay Parade.
Community workshops to build MayDay are held at In the Heart of the Beast Theatre’s home base: The Avalon Theatre, 1500 E Lake St, Mpls, MN 55407
From Saturday, April 8 - Thursday, May 4, 2017, MayDay Build Workshops are held:
- Every Tuesday from 7-9pm*
- Every Thursday from 7-9pm
- Every Saturday from 9-11am and 1-3pm
* American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation is available at every Tuesday night workshop.
Workshops are funded by free will donations and open to the public. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Bring recycled items to the build (if you can)! Check our Materials Wish List for specific needs.
How it Works
- An artist will introduce you to the parade theme by showing you the giant storyboard (a visual script).
- You select a section of the parade to work on, find the artist in charge of that section, and set to work!
- Artists will guide you.
- You can either make your own creation which you can keep after the parade, or help with the larger parade floats.
- Typically, you'll need 3 or 4 sessions to complete a project, but you can come to as many or as few as your schedule allows.
- Workshops are free, although donations are graciously accepted, always welcome, and much needed.
- Children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Wear "painting" clothes.
- Bring recycled items (if you can): small plastic tubs with lids, brown paper bags, newspapers, fabric, sheets, latex paint, bamboo, scissors. Check our Materials Wish List for specific needs.
- No reservations required. Just Come!
- If you are coming with a large group, come! But please let us know in advance by calling 612-721-2535