We are thrilled about the future of Heart of the Beast (HOBT) and are eager to share with you the reasons why:
- HOBT Board & Staff have just completed a 3-year Strategic Plan that will serve as a blueprint for the future direction of the organization.
- The Avalon Theatre is being refreshed with a major clean-up of spaces to serve artists and administrative staff after two years of remote work and virtual-only programming
- We will launch a one of a kind Puppet and Mask Library to be housed at the Avalon this winter
- Artists will be commissioned for participation in a Puppet Fashion Show to take place on the Avalon Stage in early Spring
- The public will have the chance to learn and participate in puppet arts through upcoming workshops and classes. More opportunities for teaching artists will occur in collaboration with community partners.
Your donation ensures that the work of HOBT will continue to advance in light of our newly restated mission:
To nurture creative empowerment through the joy and magic of puppetry performance and education.
Fostering Community. Nurturing Creativity. Since 1973.
Entering our 6th decade serving the Powderhorn & Phillips neighborhoods in South Minneapolis, HOBT continues to bring people together for the common good through the power of puppet and mask performance. Donations from individuals account for 30% of the revenue we use to pay artists to deliver our mission. Make a donation today.
Image Description: A photograph shows a shadow puppet on stage made for Impact Theory of insects and plants framed by paper leaves.
Image Description: A photograph shows a crowd at the MayDay Festival with a person flying a red cardinal puppet overhead.
Image Description: A photograph shows Gustavo Boada building the body of the puppet Medicine Woman Mojiganga with help from a dancer of Kalpulli KetzalKoatlicue for the MayDay Festival.
Make a Sustaining Donation
Become a Monthly Donor!
As a monthly donor, your gift ensures that Heart of the Beast is healthy and thriving. Your contribution to the annual fund sustains HOBT's ongoing work like debuting works such as Impact Theory, funding MayDay celebrations and building our Puppet & Mask Lending Library.
Why give monthly?
PAPERLESS! You can choose to no longer receive our paper appeal mailings! You will receive one statement in January with a summary of your giving history for tax purposes.
Smaller monthly contributions! Do you normally give $100 a year? Break that down to a manageable $9 a month donation and you have hit your $100 mark (actually its $108, for you math geniuses out there). This is a great way to make your donations more financially manageable, while also ensuring reliable support for HOBT throughout the year.
Image Description: HOBT's hand logo in yellow appears above button to make a sustaining donation.
Want to make a gift in memory of someone?
Either mail a check to the theater with a letter explaining your wishes - OR - make the gift online and email your instructions to us at [email protected]
HOBT is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, and your gift is 100% tax deductible.
THANK YOU to our funders and friends
Many thanks to the hundreds of individuals who have joined Heartbeats, made monthly sustaining gifts, made Give to the Max donations, and contributed time and resources to support HOBT programming this year. The Board, Staff, Artists and Volunteers sincerely THANK YOU for your continuing generosity.
- National Endowment for the Arts
- Minnesota State Arts Board – Operating Support
- McKnight Foundation
- Hugh J. Andersen Foundation
- HRK Foundation
- Fidelity Charitable Funds
- Community Shares of Minnesota
- Troutman-Blumenshine Family Fund
- Cy and Paula DeCosse Fund
- Phoebe and Maureen Trepp – Minnesota Community Foundation
- Midtown Phillips Neighborhood Association Inc.
- Mississippi Watershed Management Organization
- One Minneapolis Fund