The MayDay Parade, Ceremony and Festival are free, but donations are gratefully accepted at the event. Prefer to donate now? DONATE
Help build the puppets for the MayDay Parade!
During the month of April, our building is transformed into a giant studio where staff artists and volunteers create the MayDay Parade.
Community workshops to build MayDay are held at In the Heart of the Beast Theatre’s home base: The Avalon Theatre, 1500 E Lake St, Mpls, MN 55407
April 6—thru May 2, 2019:
EACH Tuesday from 7-9pm
EACH Thursday from 7-9pm
EACH Saturday from 9-11 am, and 1-3pm
** American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation is available at EVERY workshop. **
Workshops are funded by free will donations and open to the public. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Bring recycled items to the build (if you can)! Check our Materials Wish List for specific needs.
HOBT has made changes this year in an effort to make workshops more accessible for those in wheelchairs and with mobility needs!
- A staff member dedicated to accessibility needs will be present at every workshop. This person will be wearing a nametag with the title “Accessibility Assistance”. You can ask any staff member or artist and they can locate this person if you can’t find them!
- Two aisles down the theater in the main workshop area are designated as access aisles and will be cleared for better wheelchair access in the theater.
- There is one accessible restroom in the theater. A passage to the restroom will be kept clear to allow easy wheelchair access.
- One table in the front lobby will be designated as workspace for people with accessibility needs.
Please let us know any thoughts/questions/concerns! Email [email protected]
How it Works
- An artist will introduce you to the parade theme by showing you the giant storyboard (a visual script).
- You select a section of the parade to work on, find the artist in charge of that section, and set to work!
- Artists will guide you.
- You can either make your own creation which you can keep after the parade, or help with the larger parade floats.
- Typically, you'll need 3 or 4 sessions to complete a project, but you can come to as many or as few as your schedule allows.
- Workshops are free, although donations are graciously accepted, always welcome, and much needed.
- Children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Wear "painting" clothes.
- Bring recycled items (if you can): small plastic tubs with lids, brown paper bags, newspapers, fabric, sheets, latex paint, bamboo, scissors. Check our Materials Wish List for specific needs.
- No reservations required. Just Come!
- If you are coming with a large group, come! But please let us know in advance by calling 612-721-2535