Would you like a unique and inviting location for your next gathering? Rent the Avalon!
Originally constructed a neighborhood movie house in 1937 by architect Perry Crosier, the Avalon Theater has been the home of In the Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask Theatre since 1988. The Avalon is ideal for theater, music and dance performances. Our stage is suitable for film and video shoots as well.
Location & Neighborhood
HOBT's Avalon is located in south Minneapolis at 1500 East Lake Street, one block west of Bloomington Avenue. Across the street is the vibrant Mercado Central, full of authentic Latino food and goods. Four blocks to the west is the Midtown Exchange building, in the former Sears tower, and its Midtown Global Market (international foods and gifts), while Ingebretsen's Scandinavian Deli & Gifts - an 80-year old Minneapolis institution - is two blocks east. Click here for map and directions
- Flexible seating for up to 275
- Fully accessible, raked floor
- Stage space measures 28' deep by 42' wide by 25' high
- Lighting grid with limited instruments (also for hanging of screens, scrims, curtains, & backdrops), express control console light board
- Lobby area with sink, refrigerator, drinking fountain, & removable concession counter
- Handicapped accessible restroom
- Updated mechanicals insure a comfortable, climate-controlled building
- Separate box office and foyer with ADA compliant counter area
- Display window and two 3 ft x 5 ft outdoor display panels
- Restored two-story marquee tower with neon and chasing lights, with back-lit reader board and slotted letters to create your own message
- Large parking lot directly behind the theater as well as on-street parking
- Easy load-in from the street to the stage
To book the Avalon Theatre for your next event, please complete the form below.