MayDay in Metamorphosis: MayDay Council
The function of The MayDay Council is to collectively design a sustainable and equitable path forward for the MayDay based on the information collected during the discovery phase of Imagine MayDay.
The MayDay Council will partner with HOBT in designing a new approach to the planning and production of future MayDay events based on principles of equity, justice, and collaboration.
HOBT and Free Black Dirt are thrilled to announce the inaugural MayDay Council (MDC), 16 artists and community leaders representing a wealth of passion, skill, and energy for the work of creating a more equitable and accessible MayDay
Introducing the MayDay Council
HOBT and Free Black Dirt are thrilled to announce the inaugural MayDay Council (MDC). HOBT received more than 40 community nominations, representing a wealth of passion, skill, and energy for the work of creating a more equitable and accessible MayDay. Through a robust community nomination and selection process, 16 artists and community leaders have been invited to serve on the first MayDay Council.
The MDC will partner with HOBT in designing a new approach to the planning and production of future MayDay events based on principles of equity, justice, and collaboration.
Free Black Dirt
HOBT is honored to be working with Free Black Dirt to design and facilitate the MayDay Council.
Free Black Dirt is an artistic partnership formed by Minneapolis based collaborators Junauda Petrus and Erin Sharkey. Committed to creating original theatre and performance, hosting innovative events, organizing local artists, and promoting and supporting the emerging artists’ community in the Twin Cities, Free Black Dirt seeks to spark and engage in critical conversations.
More about The MayDay Council
Recommended Charter & Mandate
The following activities be delegated to the MayDay Council:
- The MayDay Council’s primary mandate will be to design a collaboration-oriented strategic plan and business model for MayDay;
- The MayDay Council’s secondary mandate will be to recommend specific, culturally affirming changes to HOBT’s governance and programming models.
The MayDay Council is an advisory team to the HOBT Leadership Team that currently includes, Steve Ackerman (Site Director), Naomi Campion (General Manager), Claire Curran (Communications Director), Linnea House (Finance Director), and Corrie Zoll (Executive Director). The MayDay Council will make recommendations that will then be decided upon by the HOBT Leadership Team, and Board of Directors when appropriate. It is our intention and commitment to strive for consensus between the MayDay Council, HOBT Leadership Team, and Board of Directors.
MDC Internal Governance & Decision Making
The internal decision-making structure for the transition team should be based on consensus; their specific mechanism will be co-created together during the first meeting.
- Attend a day-long retreat facilitated by Imagine Deliver to determine decision-making structure and co-create a list of action steps and a visual equity framework
- Meetings at most twice a month
- MDC will be convened through July 2021. This will allow for an evaluation of the first production and allow room for adjustments based on goals and metrics that will be decided by the MDC.
Compensation & Radical Hosting
Compensation for MDC members:
- A stipend that is well above minimum wage
- Travel costs will be included in the stipend
- Childcare will be provided on-site as needed
- Accessibility requirements will be met as needed
- Culturally affirming food and beverages will be provided for each meeting.