It takes a whole village – and then some – to put together a MayDay Parade and Festival. If you want to plan, brainstorm, organize, fundraise, give money and/or supplies, sculpt, sew, papier-mache, staple, build, paint, cook food, usher, clean up, sing songs, play music, or dance, please join us!
Ways to Participate:
- MayDay Public Workshops – Help build puppets for the parade! Workshops are free and open to the public. During the month of April, our building is transformed into a giant studio where staff artists and volunteers create the MayDay Parade.
- Perform in the MayDay Ceremony – sign up at the MayDay Workshops to be a part of the annual MayDay ceremony. Many roles, all ages.
- Donate Materials – keep an eye on our materials wish list.
- Volunteer – the annual MayDay Parade & Festival draws up to 50,000 people and couldn’t happen without community involvement and volunteer help! HOBT produces this event with only a small core staff and about 160 volunteers. Your help is needed, especially on the day of the event.
- Donate Dollars – We need support to produce this one-of-a-kind community event. You can donate online, or by sending this Donation Form through the mail.
- Join the Free Speech Section in the MayDay Parade, a section immediately following the main theme sections of the parade. Thousands of people will line the one-mile parade route so if you have a cause you want others to know about this is the place to strut your stuff.
- Host an Information Table – Hosting an information table at the MayDay Festival is an excellent way for an organization to raise public awareness about various issues, interests and causes.
- Be a Food Vendor — Being a food vendor in the park during the festival is a great way to make money and spread awareness of your food truck or business. We’re aiming for a zero-waste event this year!
As always, feel free to call 612-721-2535 with questions.