The annual MayDay Parade is held on the first Sunday in May. Thousands of people line the one-mile parade route so if you have a cause you want others to know about, this is the place to strut your stuff.
- Advanced registration is required – due April 22, 2016.
- Download the 2016 MayDay Information Table and Free Speech Section Brochure
- A registration fee of $55 is required to help offset staffing costs.
- In keeping with the spirit of Mayday, we accept volunteer hours in exchange for the registration fees for both the Free Speech Section and Information Tables. See the application for more details and to enroll in the volunteer exchange program.
A Few Simple Rules
In addition to registration, we have a few simple rules that all groups are required to observe:
- You must have a banner that identifies your group or organization. Combining groups or organizations is not advised.
- No motorized vehicles are allowed.
- No amplified sound or megaphones.
- No soliciting of any kind.
- No distribution of flyers, food or other items.
- Your message and the delivery of that message must be peaceful.
- You must be respectful and follow the directions of parade officials,police officers and others charged with keeping the parade a safe and fun experience.
- Line-up is first come, first served and begins at 11:00am on the day of the parade at Cedar Field (25th Street & Cedar Avenue).
- Rain date is the Sunday after the scheduled date. Please listen to KFAI or WCCO radio to check if weather looks questionable. The parade has only been postponed once due to weather conditions.
- All floats or puppets created for your group’s use in the Free Speech section must be made at your own expense outside of the MayDay public workshops. Non-motorized floats must be pre-registered and approved by HOBT. HOBT reserves the right to not accept any non-motorized floats that do not meet the HOBT MayDay Float Standards. Please contact the MayDay Festival Coordinator at email@example.com or call 612-721-2535 for guidelines on parade float and banner rules and regulations. (For info about the story-telling part of the parade, visit the Parade Section.)
- Groups that do not enter along Bloomington will be asked to wait until the entire parade has passed before joining in. Please do not enter the parade once it is going down Bloomington Ave.