Help build the puppets for the MayDay Parade!
During the month of April, our building is transformed into a giant studio where staff artists and volunteers create the MayDay Parade.
Community workshops to build MayDay are held at In the Heart of the Beast Theatre’s home base: The Avalon Theatre, 1500 E Lake St, Mpls, MN 55407
Beginning Saturday, April 2nd, 2016 MayDay Build Workshops are held:
- Every Tuesday from 7-9pm
- Every Thursday from 7-9pm
- Every Saturday from 9-11am and 1-3pm
Workshops are free and open to the public. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Workshops are funded by free will donations.
How it Works
- An artist will introduce you to the parade theme by showing you the giant storyboard (a visual script).
- You select a section of the parade to work on, find the artist in charge of that section, and set to work!
- Artists will guide you.
- You can either make your own creation which you can keep after the parade, or help with the larger parade floats.
- Typically, you’ll need 3 or 4 sessions to complete a project, but you can come to as many or as few as your schedule allows.
- Workshops are free, although donations are graciously accepted, always welcome, and much needed.
- Children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Wear “painting” clothes.
- Bring recycled items (if you can): small plastic tubs with lids, brown paper bags, newspapers, fabric, sheets, latex paint, bamboo, scissors. Check our Materials Wish List for specific needs.
- No reservations required. Just Come!
- If you are coming with a large group, come! But please let us know in advance by calling 612-721-2535